Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:39:48 -0700
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Aaron Smith <aaron@veritas.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feasibility of porting Linux filesystem code?

First of all, let me answer the main issue of this thread:
Yes, it's feasable to implement many of the filesystems Linux supports,
but they are not a priority task. In fact, no one that knows how to
implement them really cares.

OK. now to the second theme of this thread .....

HEY....STOP IT...

I've heard this before:
1) someone wants to know about the EFS filesystem Linux has and if it
can be used in FreeBSD.
2) someone says we don't know anything about that shit, and that maybe
if there were specifications and source code something could be done.
3) I ask if perhaps an SCO fs could be easier since the Linux code is
available.
4) Terry says some drastic changes he has tested and analyzed are
required.
5) Everyone(?) says Terry should shut up because he has this fantastic
ideas that seem to leed to nowhere, and there's no interest in making
our filesystems unstable.
6) Things get personal.

Well, I have some comments on this:

1) Since FreeBSD is not a democracy, we should all agree on technical
terms to arrange this problem. There is this fs list that has almost no
volume of use, so I guess we have seen little technical arguments.
2) I'm not a FS expert, but it's absolutely clear that the changes Terry
proposes are innecesary. On the other hand if they work, as he claims,
they could bring many advantages, especially in performance, and
although I haven't seen tests on our filesystems, there is no reason to
believe they are particulary efficient with respect to other OS's.
3) In this particular FreeBSD stage it doesn't seem a good time to make
unnecessary drastic changes, but then there is NEVER such a good time,
and that shouldn't stop us from introducing improvements. (Note I'm
trying to keep neutral ?)

My proposal is as follows.
1) Since it's not clear anyone, other than Terry, wants the changes now,
we should give a time to work on other things, including some code John
Heidemann offered on the filesystems list.
2) Someway of relieving the tension must be deviced between the
contending parties (perhaps a challenge? see how's capable of
implementing a samba fs first?)
3) A small group of Terry's oppositors should test Terry's patches so
that either he understands he's wrong or the patches are committed.

In this process the "shuddups", and violent recriminations should cease.

Pedro.