Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 2004 17:00:14 -0600
From:      "Munden, Randall J" <Randall.Munden@umb.com>
To:        "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>, <chris@randomcamel.net>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Where is FreeBSD going?

I think this is what is on my mind these days.  I'm preparing to load
up some machines for production soon (I've already put it off for too
long waiting for 5-STABLE) and I don't like what I'm seeing -- with=20
both the mud slinging here and the performance in the lab (mostly=20
anecdotal). Perhaps I've just become spoiled by each new -RELEASE=20
being ten times better than the previous one or perhaps I'm just=20
becoming a bit neurotic with age but I'm not seeing the progression=20
of improvement I've come to expect (or perhaps only imagined?).

Don't misinterpret the above,  I <3 fBSD and I'll not soon replace=20
it with anything else.  But I do like to look ahead to see what's
coming.

>=20
> FreeBSD also keeps falling farther and farther behind Linux=20
> in the area of advocacy (and, hence, corporate adoption).=20
> Again, this is a governance=20
> issue. Many of the developers actually have an antipathy=20
> toward advocacy,=20
> since they dislike answering newbie FAQs and don't want too=20
> many people to adopt the OS for fear that it'll overcrowd=20
> their "sandbox." So, some of the criticism is actually valid.

I noticed it too but I just chalked it up to being crazy busy
and not paying much attention.