Date:      Sat, 04 Dec 1999 19:32:34 -0800
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, gallatin@cs.duke.edu, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISP firmware compiled in as a default....

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999 11:43:39 -0800 (PST)
 Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:

 > Jason (bless his heart) Thorpe kept on claiming that NetBSD-alpha was
 > completely broken without the f/w- I never saw such breakage at all and
 > real active details were not provided, and in fact *you* (Wilko) are the
 > only one who I know was completely blocked w/o the f/w.

Oh, c'mon.  The whole reason you started always downloading the firmware
into the ISP is because cgd reported to you that the SRM's ISP firmware
on his AlphaStation 500 didn't play nice with the NetBSD driver.  I'm
pretty sure I have an archive of the e-mail conversation (which was all
CC'd to me).

And, I'm pretty sure there's actually a PR in the database about a
PC164 user having to back-rev his machine to before the firmware was
yanked because his ISP no longer worked after a *power-cycle* (i.e. the
RAM on the card lost power, and the SRM-loaded firmware was not functional
with the NetBSD driver).

Not only that, but users of CATS boards (arm32) were completely left out
in the cold; the firmware on those machines doesn't run the ISP BIOS, and
thus had no way of loading in the firmware into the card.  The portmaster
went as far as to yank the "isp" driver out of the example kernel config
files in that port.

...or don't you read the `source-changes' mailing list?

Anyhow, the arm32 case will happen on *ANY* platform who's firmware
doesn't natively understand the ISP.  So, not loading the firmware by
default screws over anyone who tries to put it in an arm32, macppc,
Atari Hades, etc.

Now, you could do something like have #ifdefs for each firmware,
i.e.

#ifdef ISP_1020_FIRMWARE

#ifdef ISP_1080_FIRMWARE

#ifdef ISP_2100_FIRMWARE

...actually, I just noticed... there's already ISP_DISABLE_..._SUPPORT
#ifdefs in there.  Why not key on those?