Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 2015 02:22:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      possnfiffer <possnfiffer@snowboard.com>
To:        freebsd-python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Python 2.7.9 looks for SSL certificates in /etc/ssl instead of /usr/local/etc/ssl

I run FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE x86_64. The last two updates for python2.7_2.2 I
saw were Dec 22nd and Oct 10 (I believe) the Dec update is where I started
having issues with my SABnzbdplus and SickBeard python scripts.

I wrote the following in hopes that readers searching for a fix to https not
following useful to get their systems in working order.

Yo,
The latest version of python changed it's defaults and now it looks for CA
certificate in /etc/ssl/cert.pem

I run FreeBSD and the base system doesn't include the file /etc/ssl/cert.pem

If your python scripts have been failing reporting
urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED]
certificate verify failed

then you simply need to apply the following fix as a privileged user
(FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE last updated today is all I've tested this on)

ln -s /usr/local/etc/ssl/cert.pem /etc/ssl/cert.pem

-Roller aka possnfiffer