Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:52:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, Joe Shevland <J_Shevland@TurnAround.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K.Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Subject:   Re: Applixware was Re: Detailed info on Fail-safe cluster for Freebsd/unixes

Sorry to put this on -hackers, but it seems to be stuck here.

You can believe the ad or you can try it. We've tried both so 5.0
and the latest applixware, and they both don't work about equally well.
That is, they can read in trivial ms office files but they fail in bad
ways on anything we care about. so 5.0 crashes and burns and exits and
dies if it hits something it can't read. applixware just says "I can't do
that" -- often. Applixware can't even handle word fast-save files, which
are the most common kind out there. Note that mswordview, a freeware
program, does handle fast-saved files ...

This is the second time I've paid money for applixware and been burned,
so I am of course somewhat less than a satisfied customer :-)

Don't assume you can use either of these tools to interoperate with ms
office. You can't. In terms of how luck you'll be:
excel: probably works, most of the time
word: works if it is text only most of the time, fails badly on anything
useful
powerpoint: forget it on applixware, have not tried it on so 5.0

Good luck.

ron

Ron Minnich                |"Using Windows NT, which is known to have some
rminnich@sarnoff.com       | failure modes, on a warship is similar to hoping
(609)-734-3120             | that luck will be in our favor"- A. Digiorgio
ftp://ftp.sarnoff.com/pub/mnfs/www/docs/cluster.html