Date:      Sun, 6 Nov 2011 13:30:36 -0600
From:      Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: painful binary upgrade from 8.1 to 8.2

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 13:25:30 -0600, Randal L. Schwartz
<merlyn@stonehenge.com> wrote:

> Why doesn't the freebsd-update command invoke mergemaster with -F?
>
> Or is there some step that I'm leaving out?

Does freebsd-update follow /etc/mergemaster.rc?

# Automatically install files that do not exist
AUTO_INSTALL='yes'
# Automatically upgrade files that have not been edited
AUTO_UPGRADE='yes'
# Ignore files that I don't want changed
IGNORE_FILES='/etc/motd'
# Do not display changes that only affect whitespace
#DIFF_FLAG="'.Bub'"
# Ignore CVS id lines to stop replacing files where only that line has
changed
DIFF_OPTIONS='-I$FreeBSD:.*[$]'

This is precisely why I still do source upgrades most of the time. But I
haven't tried since I started using mergemaster.rc.

Regards,

Mark