Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2013 16:48:09 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6727@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unable to installworld after successful buildworld and buildkernel

--+g7M9IMkV8truYOl

On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 09:38:14PM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > To cross install FreeBSD on a system without the required users/groups
> > you must either install them on the base system so that install and
> > mtree can use them or use the -DDB_FROM_SRC option when running the
> > installworld/installkernel/distribution targets.
>=20
> -- Brooks
>=20
> That worked for installworld, was apparently not needed subsequently for =
installkernel.
>=20
> But where is DB_FROM_SRC documented?  I never saw it anywhere.  UPDATING =
file needs to be updated for installing FreeBSD on a partition where there =
is no OS installed.
>=20

It's documented in Makefile.inc1 where the less commonly used options
are documented.  It should be documented in the Handbook along with the
process of cross installation and image creation.

I disagree that UPDATING should document the process of installing to
other locations.  That would be a distraction from it's purpose of
letting users update their systems.  It's already far too complicated.

-- Brooks

--+g7M9IMkV8truYOl

--+g7M9IMkV8truYOl--