Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2006 17:18:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Evans Durandisse <evans000_1999@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   About "how the GUI should look like after installation!"

I am brand new to unix. I m a beginner student in computer engineering. I w=
anted to install =0AfreeBSD since there's such a fuss about it. I got the i=
so images and mounted them on a CD with Alcohol 120. I installed freebsd wi=
thout much configuration. I answered 'no' when asked to configure things wh=
at could be configured later. But I do not know if I installed it right, ev=
enthough I tried to follow the instructions from the handbook. When I open =
my computer, after installation, there's the screen that asked if I want to=
 start freebsd or dos. So I choose freebsd. Then, I logged in and typed 'st=
artx' to start the gui (that's what I should do! right!). Consequently, it'=
d been loaded. I am just seeing four comand shells. That's all I can see! N=
o taskbars! No background picture (greying grinded dots: like pixels in a l=
ow definition image). There're just four squared box (shell). My mouse work=
ed! But there's nothing it can be used for. I tried to work myself over tha=
t by typing some commands. But I don't know that much of the Unix language;=
 so it's been to no avail! So my question is should I get this kind of grap=
hic environment? or something missing in the installation.=0A=0A     I have=
 an intel D845GLVA motherboard with a Pent IV, integrated video card, Samsu=
ng SyncMaster 753DF (maybe it's the hardware). But I didn't get any error m=
essage for that.=0A    Thank you for considering helping! Have a good day!=
=0AEvans=0A=0A