Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 18:52:12 -0500
From:      Jean-Francois Routhier <jfrouthi@miranda.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble with FreeBSD 2.2 (Hard disk or controller)

At 09:59 97-11-19 -0800, you wrote:
>People keep inventing new mailing addresses for questions faster than I
>can add them to my filters.  :-)
>
>On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Marie-Josee Blais wrote:
>
>> My FreeBSD server seems to be thrashing my hard disk bit per bit.
>>
>> Once in a while I get messages telling me that a certain file on my system
>> has bad data.
>> Most of the time I don't use those files so I erase them.
>>
>> Is there a way for me to check if my hard disk is the problem or my
>> controller or maybe FreeBSD itself.
>
>What brand and model of controller and disks do you have?
>
>Doug White                              | University of Oregon
>Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
>http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

Thanks for answering Doug,
My controller is on my motherboard.
Brand of the Motherboard: PENTIUM GA-586ATV PCI-ISABUS
Chips used to control IDE: SB82371SB or SB82437VX (Intel) (I'm not sure which)

The hard disk is a Western Digital Caviar 22100
Params: 4092 cyl, 16 heads, 63 spt, 2111.8 MB capacity

Also, I'v actually had the chance to run bad144 and here is the kind of
error it gave me:
bad144: cyl/trk/sect out of range in existing entry: sn=28766658 cn=28531,
tn=116, sn=102

So what do you think that means ? Is my server writing data outside its
partitions ?
 ________________________/ Technologies Miranda Inc.   \
/ Jean-Francois Routhier \ TEL:(514)333-1772           |
| jfrouthi@miranda.com   | FAX:(514)333-9828           |
|                        | Web: http://www.miranda.com |
| Network Administrator  |
| Administratrice Reseau |