Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 17:52:13 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   /dev/null permission change from 4.3 -> 4.4...

	Howdy.  This question was originally framed as a "why doesn't
uptime work for users in 4.4, when it used to in 4.3," but after looking
into things further, it's now a "why is /dev/null set to mod 0600?"  On
a 4.3 system that I have, the perms on dev/null are 666.

	I've chmod'ed all of my boxen back to 0666, but... I'm curious
as to why this happened and the rationale behind the change.  I've
observed this difference on at least 15 other 4.4 systems.  What gives?
-sc

PS  Build processes was:

cd /usr/src
make update