Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 10:37:04 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [dn-core] Re: Perens' "Free Software Leaders Stand Together"

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Well, I remember paging through that in the bookstore once, and while I
> admit I didn't look through all volumes (they wern't all there) what I
> remember of it was mainly reprints of the system manual pages.  Not
> much to recommend purchase as the price was rather high.

That's what 75% of their X11 series was, and it sold very well.

I think the difference is that the X11 series was general to all unices,
while the 4.4BSD Lite was specific to a single OS. ORA publishes a lot
of Linux books because there is a big market demand for them. But there
isn't a big market demand for FreeBSD books. Unfortunate, but true.

This seems to be changing. The high Linux demand has fallen along with
the dot.coms, and the BSDs are getting more attention. Patience is
what's needed. Nobody in the publishing world knew what Linux was until
it reached a certain threshold, then *blam*! Every computer publisher
had their own line of Linux books. Eventually BSD will reach that
threshold. It won't be as dramatic, since we won't have the benefit of
the dot.com tide, but it will happen.

David