Date:      Fri, 02 Sep 2011 02:43:46 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggestion for pkgdb from ports-mgmt/portupgrade: add more explanation

On 09/02/2011 02:39, Michel Talon wrote:
> Your answer is very interesting and allows me to go further in the
> reasoning. Indeed the UPDATING file is here to solve edge cases. My
> point is that there shouldn't be any edge cases, if there are some it is
> because something somewhere has been ill designed, which is not so
> suprising since the system has been conceived by Jordan Hubbard when the
> number and complexity of ports was much smaller. I certainly don't have
> any precise idea of the things which should be changed so that edge
> cases disappear,

... then how about you stop talking about it for a while?

Many people who have been heavily involved with the ports system for a
very long time have already agreed that there are a ton of thorny issues
that need to be worked out in order for it to improve. IOW, we agree
with you. Continuing to beat this drum has no positive value, and
frankly is getting old.

Doug

			-- OK Go