Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:57:06 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Ed Hall <edhall@screech.weirdnoise.com>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, Howard Leadmon <howardl@account.abs.net>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, edhall@screech.weirdnoise.com
Subject:   Re: Compiler problems with -O2 (was Re: CVS Trouble, even under   4.0-RELEASE (alpha) HELP!)

At 12:20 AM -0800 2000/3/23, Ed Hall wrote:

>  I'm frankly astonished that it has been suggested that higher optimizations
>  be disabled.  Blindly compiling the world at -O2 may be folly, but using
>  optimization can be quite useful for selected applications.

	In all seriousness, I'd be just as happy to have extremely strong
warnings against using anything but -O by default (i.e., setting it
in /etc/make.conf or setting "makeoptions" in your kernel
configuration), with the caveat that the potential consequences can
be exceptionally dire (such as having your entire machine toasted,
etc...) if you decide that you want to take the risk and build your
kernel with "-O2 -march=pentium" or whatever.

	People should be able to use whatever optimization they want on
userland programs, and if they're stupid enough to aim thermonuclear
weapons at their feet when doing the same with the kernel, well then
maybe the Darwin effect will help the rest of us get a little more
sleep.  ;-)