Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 21:38:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jason Young <doogie@earth.anet-stl.com>
To:        Chris Williams <psion@geekspace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with Ports

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Chris Williams wrote:

> I recently installed 2.2.7 on a new i386 machine, and everything was
> working great, until I cvsuped myself to -stable two nights ago. I
> didn't have any problems making the world or a new kernel, but when I
> got the new sources I also got the new ports tree, and none of the ports
> I install seem to work now, they all fail with the message:
>
> ELF interpreter /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
> Abort trap

You installed a 3.0 binary package on a 2.2.7 box (I did the same thing
myself a couple times, I have mixed server versions around the office and
forgot).

> Also, sometime when I try to install packages from sysinstall, I get an
> error message that it can't find XFree86 (which is required for
> such-and-such package), yet I have X installed, and it could find it
> fine before I upgraded.
> What did I do wrong??
>
> Oh, also I'm having a weird problem (this didn't change between .7 and
> -stable) with a MOO I'm running. When I try to load a large MOO db, it
> starts to load, and then panics that malloc() failed, always at about
> the same point. I figured out, however, that if I run it as root, it
> works fine. If there some limit on how much memory a normal-user's
> process can use?
> The really weird thing about it, is that I have it set to setuid to a
> relatively non-priveledged user, yet it still only works when run from
> root.

Your login.conf limits are kicking in. In csh or tcsh use 'limit' to see
what they're currently set to. Edit /etc/login.conf to give the default
class (or a new class if you so choose) a higher limit. Be sure to do a
cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf after that.

Jason Young
ANET Chief Network Engineer