Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 11:48:08 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CONTINUED problems: Restore/Dump broken?

>This is in the current current.  Not in CAM.  We still have to use it until
>we all convert to CAM, CAM is in the main branch, etc.

CAM should have no effect on this problem.  The old driver was able
to write the blocksize you told it correctly too.

>> One thing that could be biting you though is that dump defaults to a
>> 10k block size while restore will default to a 32k block size.  I haven't
>> analyzed the source enough to see if it will properly handle cases where
>> the blocksize is smaller than the default.  I always explicitly specify
>> the blocksize.
>
>As I said before, this happens with cpio too.   You do:
>
>cd /etc;find . | cpio -H newc -ov -C 65536 -O /dev/nst2.2

I never use a sub mode tape device and the driver may well be doing
something hokey.  I also don't have any nst devices.  Only nrst and rst.
8-)

The nrst2 device should have the default density for the device which,
for DDS-* drives should be what you want.

--
Justin