Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 13:08:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave McCammon <davemac11@yahoo.com>
To:        zopewiz@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Junior hacker assignment :o

--- Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com> wrote:

> Look in /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_shutdown.c
>
> static void
> shutdown_halt(void *junk, int howto) {
> }
>
> Looks interesting.
>
>  - Mike
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > --- Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com> wrote:
> > > Well whatever function the kernel is in while it
> > > loops, polling the
> > > keyboard asking "press any key to reboot" could
> have
> > > additional logic for
> > > a countdown timer to reboot.
> >
> > Great!
> >
> > > How and where to do this?  I don't know.
> >
> > Not so great ;)
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> > Carlos.
Not a real programmer but....

I wonder if adding the following (taken from
shutdown_reset lines in kern_shutdown.c)
DELAY(1000000);
cpu_reset();

to the following in the cpu_halt(); area would work.

You would have to modify the delay time.

/*
 * If the shutdown was a clean halt, behave
accordingly.
 */
static void
shutdown_halt(void *junk, int howto)
{
  if (howto & RB_HALT) {
     printf("\n");
     printf("The operating system has halted.\n");
     printf("Please press any key to reboot.\n\n");
         switch (cngetc()) {
         case -1:       /* No console, just die */
             cpu_halt();
              /* NOTREACHED */
             default:
                howto &= ~RB_HALT;