Date:      Wed, 01 Mar 2000 02:19:20 -0800
From:      William Sang Min Bae <wbae@home.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, cjclark@home.com
Subject:   Re: vinum (again) - 2 SCSI drives and performance/reliability issues

Wow... Greg, is that you?  Cool!  So I have a question about vinum and the
guy who actually wrote it answers back.  You guys have great support!  You
know, I was about to give up on FreeBSD until I subscribed to this mailing
list.

BTW, thanks for the tip Chris!

I guess what I'm trying to do is setup a low-cost/high-reliability web
server (kind of an oxymoron, isn't it? hehehe -> k6III 400Mhz, 128meg
SDRAM, 1Meg cache AOpen 59AX [or is it MX?], tekram DC390F UW scsi, 2X IBM
DDRS-34560LW 4.5 gig U2W scsi).

I'm a 3rd year Computer Science student and I'm thinking about starting my
own web-hosting business.  I was going to try to buy an Adaptec AAA-131U2,
but it's not supported in FreeBSD 3.4 right now, I think. (its the cheapest
RAID 5 controller around here at about $600 CND, can't afford to shell out
$1500 canadian for a DPT raid controller).

My problem is that I want to be able to have a way of mirroring or backing
up as much of the system as I can.  That's why I chose vinum.  That is,
ideally I'd like to have both drives setup as a RAID 1 array (mirroring, no
striping).

Okay, based on Chris Clark's suggestions, I'd try a 100MB root partiton on
Drive0, then 128MB for swap on Drive1 (for performance reasons).  Then
create 2 identically sized partitions on both drives to use vinum
(mirroring, concat).  BTW, if you have 128MB of ram, is it better
(performance-wise) then to use exactly the same amount of as swap?  The
FreeBSD handbook suggest 2.5 times the amount of ram, or 320MB.

The problem that I have is, how do I configure a vinum partition to house
/usr and everything else non-root before I actually install the /usr
partition?  That is, is it possible for me to run vinum as a boot-time
option before I actually install any packages or distributions, so that I
can install the basic distributions (everything except the root partition)
inside a vinum partition?

And in a company that I worked for they used to mirror the drives every
night using "dd".  Is that a good option?  What other tools/programs can do
something like this w/o impacting on the server's load too much?

Anyways, thanks for the quick reply guys!!!  Keep up the good work Greg,

William