Date:      Sat, 8 Nov 1997 11:45:21 +0100
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seagate Cheetah performance...

On 1997-11-07 22:26 -0800, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com> wrote:
> Well,
>
> I found a way to nearly double my performance:
>

>  iozone 48
>
>         IOZONE: Performance Test of Sequential File I/O  --  V2.01 (10/21/94)
>                 By Bill Norcott
>
>         Operating System: FreeBSD 2.x -- using fsync()
>
>         Send comments to:       b_norcott@xway.com
>
>         IOZONE writes a 48 Megabyte sequential file consisting of
>         98304 records which are each 512 bytes in length.
                                       ^^^^^^^^^ This is where
				       your problem originates!

Reading 512 byte blocks is not a typical situation at all ...

>         It then reads the file.  It prints the bytes-per-second
>         rate at which the computer can read and write files.
>

> Writing the 48 Megabyte file, 'iozone.tmp'...5.523438 seconds
> Reading the file...4.921875 seconds
>
> IOZONE performance measurements:
>         9112377 bytes/second for writing the file
>         10226112 bytes/second for reading the file

This is > 20000 SCSI commands ! SCSI overhead must be lower than 50us !
Wow! What are you complaining about ? :-)

> > Any tweaking that I do to improve the performance of my :
> >  <SEAGATE ST34501W 0017> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> >
> >  iozone 48

> > IOZONE performance measurements:
> >         5418377 bytes/second for writing the file
> >         7828008 bytes/second for reading the file

Again: You are using a much to small transfer rate !

> > My Ultra DMA IDE disk generates about 8MB/sec for writing .

IDE overhead is much smaller than SCSI, there is no arbitration
for a shared bus, for example.

Please test all three drives with Bonnie. Use a test file at
least twice as much as your system's RAM, and report your
findings ...

You'll get a different picture, I assume !

Regards, STefan