Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 09:25:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, Charles Mott <cmott@scientech.com>, Erik Salander <erik@whistle.com>, net@FreeBSD.ORG, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Subject:   Re: Improved PPTP support for libalias(3)

Ruslan Ermilov writes:

> > > It's simply a limitation in our address translation module for PPTP.
> > > There's nothing implied wrong with the standard itself or the server
> > > implementation.
> > >
> > > This limitation could be eliminated with more coding, but it's
> > > somewhat ugly (you have to make two TCP streams appear as one).
> >
> > Sorry, I may have misinterpreted your question...
> >
> > It is inherent in the PPTP standard that there be at most ONE
> > PPTP TCP control connection between any two IP addresses.
> >
> > If you think about it for a second you can see why: when a machine
> > receives a GRE packet, it identifies the call using the pair
> > <sourceIP, CallID>. That means that there can be at most ONE entity
> > living at sourceIP doling out CallID's for calls to the local
> > machine/IP address.. otherwise CallID's would not be guaranteed
> > to be unique.
>
> This is all right, except libalias(3) is supposed to intercept
> outgoing PPTP call requests messages and alias CallID to be unique,
> see AliasHandlePptpOut().

Sorry, I don't understand your point... libalias already does this fine,
that's not the problem.

The problem is that two internal clients connecting to the same
external server at the same time will result in two TCP connections
to the same server seeming to come from the same IP address, which
violates the protocol.

-Archie