Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 22:39:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Guillermo Sobalvarro L." <odd@medellin.cetcol.net.co>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Guillermo Sobalvarro L. wrote:

> I have FreeBSD 2.1.
>
> Any poiters on how to configure a SLIP client (dialup).  What4s needed
> in /etc/sysconfig and other /etc files such as resolv.conf, etc?  Is
> ther more thorough documentation?

Not really.  Take a look around the Handbook; there is an entire section
on setting up a SLIP client.

IMHO, if PPP is available use that.  It's much easier to configure and
manipulate.

> I have tried dip which is appropiate for the service provider I am
> trying to reach and everything works fine untill I try to ping the other
> end. There is no response.  Traceroute just shows * * *.

That is a routing problem.  Take a look at 'netstat -rn' and make sure a
default route points to the other side's address.

> What do I need to configure sl0 in sysconfig?  I've used
> defaultrouter=slip-gateway as stated in the handbook.html files.

Nope.  sl0 will take care of itself.

> I need to run SCO applications.  Any instructions on configuring devices
> in /compat/ibcs2?  Where can I get more complete documentation on both
> of these problems.

Compatibility in 2.1 is handled by kernel options; check LINT.

> Another thing, although httpd is up and running (Apache) I can't http
> from another server on the same network.

Huh?  Servers don't interact with servers.  Do you mean you can't reach
your server from a client on the same net?