Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 21:58:53 -0800
From:      "Kent Stewart" <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Arcady Genkin" <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
Subject:   Re: Before I return FreeBSD to the store...

----- Original Message -----
From: "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy@hub.org>
To: "Kent Stewart" <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>; "Arcady Genkin"
<a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 1999 9:52 PM

> On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Kent Stewart wrote:

;^)

> > my CD-ROM to
> > to make a
> > to let me
> > packages;
> > >
> > > What does the CD-ROM's jumper have to do with installing an OS?
If
> > it
> > > worked with other OS's, then it should be deemed workable, and
let
> > the
> > > jumper alone.
> >
> > It has a lot to do with it. Some drives aren't detected when they
are
> > the only device and jumpered as a slave on the secondary IDE
channel.
> > A couple don't want to be the master on the secondary IDE channel
but
> > work just fine as a slave behind the HD on the primary IDE
channel. My
> > Teac is the master on the secondary IDE channel. The slave on the
> > secondary channel is a WD 3.1GB HD.
>
> Read his second paragraph...Soulofwolf stated that Linux installed
fine,
> so the CDrom (unless FreeBSD is doing something weird) was already
> configured properly...

FreeBSD has a problem when the CDROM is misconfigured. You can't have
a slave without a master. It also has a problem with some when they
are the only drive and the master.  Some of the other OS'es cope with
a misconfigured drive. This has been an on going thread since 3.1 or
3.2.

Kent
.

Kent