Date:      Wed, 8 Feb 2006 09:08:52 -0800
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Large imap server.

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006, Erik Norgaard wrote:
>Albert Shih wrote:
>>I search some advice for large imap server.
>>
>>For me large is : 1000 users with 1 Go mails for each users. And every
>>users check by imap/pop those mail every 2 or 3 minutes.
>>
>>What's the «best» imap server ? Cyrus Imap or Courier-Imap ? (please this
>>is not a troll).
>>
>>Any documentation ?
>
>AFAIK cyrus-imap uses a database backend to store mail and has been
>designed to scale to enterprise systems. The database backend makes
>indexing and mail lookup faster, but I don't think there's any
>difference when it comes to retrieving the actual mail.

Cyrus scaling?  Perhaps on one mongo server.  We have installed
multiple servers with courier-imap delivering and serving pop and
imap from a central server housing home directories, and have
seen essentially linear performance as servers are added.

One can index mail stores with something like glimpse, but that's
probably an issue only were there are huge numbers of messages in
individual folders.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

A child can go only so far in life without potty training.  It is not
mere coincidence that six of the last seven presidents were potty
trained, not to mention nearly half of the nation's state legislators.
		-- Dave Barry