Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 22:44:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        green@zone.syracuse.NET, grog@lemis.com, julian@whistle.com, mike@smith.net.au, bag@sinbin.demos.su, rock@cs.uni-sb.de, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current NFS problem

> >Well, according to Jordan's "non-verification" to my alluding that since
> >Dr. McKusick was committing NFS deltas, he was the mysterious contracted
> >NFS fixer-upper. Last time I checked, he didn't really do his entire job
> >if that was to totally fix NFS.... but hey, I don't use NFS much if ever,
> >so I won't Complain...
>
>    Kirk was contracted to fix the problems that he could fix in a short amount
> of time. He did that and confirmed my own analysis of the remaining problems,
> which basically all stem from lack of FS node locking in the NFS code. Adding
> such locking opens a very large can of worms and everyone who has tried to
> do this has failed.

Not everyone.  Network Appliance, Sun Microsystems, USL, and SCO
have all got working NFS.  I think BSDI has working NFS as well,
including locking based one some of the stub code produced for
FreeBSD by Andrew (and by me), and I'm pretty sure the NFS code,
sans locking, worked before it left the University of Guelph.

The problems with NFS in FreeBSD are architectural problems with
FreeBSD.  Until someone starts committing fixes for the architectural
problems, you're going to continue to see their effects percolate
up to the surface in various places (like the recent complaints
by someone trying to do advisory locking on sockets; an fd is an
fd, right?  Wrong).

To put it another way, if the foundation is out of square, then
any house you build on the foundation will also be out of square.

I would like to recommend contacting John Heidemann about the
differences between his stacking vnode VFS architecture and the
implementation of that architecture in FreeBSD.  At least it
would be a starting point for addressing some of these things,
with an appeal to an authority everyone can respect instead of
a disagreement between peers.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---