Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 12:14:45 +1000
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sysinstall request: confirm overwrite!

Maybe I'm just stupid or something, but I got bit bad by sysinstall on the
weekend.  I wanted to load some of the source packages that I hadn't put on
when i installed the system and sysinstall looked like the sensible way to do
it.

However, whether it's because I'm stupid or the interface sucks or I haven't Rd
TFM right, what I _thought_ I was doing was adding the contrib and X sources.
What I actually wound up doing was reinstalling the whole system, binaries,
config files, source and all, as if from scratch.  I noticed this when it
started putting stuff into /etc and of course all sorts of things, including
all my cvsup'd source, got overwritten/broken. Some time then spent in
cleaning up all the /etc configs ... :<

(Interesting data point: for CVSup to go from a CD-ROM 2.2.6 install to a
-STABLE snapshot as of last weekend, for all sources except gnu & X, was about
10 minutes.)

I doubt I'm the first person to do this and I'm probably not the stupidist or
least experienced system admin to ever run FreeBSD, so it would be a Good Thing
if sysinstall could notice that you are about to overwrite stuff and ask
permission first....

Greg.