Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:20:56 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@bitfreak.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is anyone working on /etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant?

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:51:44AM -0700, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> Is anyone working on the proposed /etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant script (as
> mentioned in /etc/network.subr?  If not, I'll get started on one.

I'm planning to work on it, but if I don't do it my tomarrow it will
have to wait for the week of the 27th as I will be without electronic
devices next Sunday-Friday.

> Also if not, what are some guidelines for what the script should do?  Is
> just terminating wpa_supplicant sufficient, or should the script stop
> dhclient, de-configure and down the interface as well?

The script should have no knowledge of dhclient and should act like the
dhclient script for the most part.

One could argue though that it actually has to be more complicated
than the dhclient script because in some really weird configurations
you might not have /usr mounted when netif is run and as a result
you need to support starting supplicants after mountcritremote.  In
normal configurations, the script should see the already started
wpa_supplicants and not do anything when it is run.

I can't actually think of a good reason to have a machine with a remote
/usr be a wireless station, but I'm sure some crazy person will come up
with one. :)

-- Brooks