Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 1995 11:06:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.Org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/mount mntopts.h mount.c

[Redirected to -hackers :-)]

> > Is what I am saying, is don't change default behavior, make it more
> > flexiable.  Defaults are not sutiable for all sites, so changeing them
>
> As was my motivation behind committing noauto.

Which I agree with the concept of noauto, we need that ``flexibility'',
it is just that the particular implementation has a little to be disired
as it mucks with the kernel interface files and it should not have.

I'll conceded the point on noauto vs noall, letting all the other unix's
who have misnamed this option take precedence simply in the name of
compatibility.

> How in the dickens did
> we get off in the tangent about modifying rc now??

Some one feels that failing non-ufs mounts should be made non-fatal,
I disagree as it may be critical to some (and I am one of them, but
far from an ``exception'') that nfs, cd9660, lfs or other non-ufs
file systems are critical to system operation.

I countered with a ``flexibility'' option by adding a few more knobs,
while preserveing the current defaults.

We ``got off in the tangent'' as one of the reasons the noauto option
was added to fstab in its current form was because you and others did
not like /etc/rc dropping to single user because it failed to mount at
boot time.  Similiar problem, different solutions, same thread :-)

> Maybe we
> should take this off committers? :)

I moved it to hackers, seems like a good place for it :-)