Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:55:03 -0700
From:      Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
To:        Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
Cc:        Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who's got the cheapest 100-BT Ethernet NIC?

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 09:06:22PM +0000, Gunther Schadow wrote:
> Robert Clark wrote:
>
> > The Intel PILA8460B (Pro 10/100B) goes for 36$ US locally. Its three
> > times the price of the 12$ Realtek card, but I argue that their worth
> > the extra upfront cost.
>
> What is it that makes it so worthwhile? I am using several of these,
> but they just work, and if something else works too, what's the
> difference then?

I feel that 36$ is a very good price for a "very good" NIC.

Some vendors make as cheap as possible a product, despite the performance
tradeoffs. I personally put RealTek in this category.

Some manufacturers play the chip market to get good prices on whatever
parts they can pick up, despite the compatibility tradeoffs. I think
of Dlink as being in this category. (Before everyone flames me, they
may have cleaned up their act recently.)

Some manufacturers make a good quality product, and put out a similar
model of product for some time. I feel like the Intel product fits into
this category.

I'd put 3com into this category as well, but I think they've been
playing the "brand name recognition" wildcard for far too many years.
(And I still associate their PCI cards with the small memoy buffers
they tried to pull on the market.(Years ago.))

> > On a slightly related note, is anyone working on a driver for the
> > PILA8460C3 that uses its hardware crypto? I was supprised to see them
> > going for 39$ US.
>
> This *is* a good point. We purchased the crypto card for $130 lately,
> I'd be surprized if they are down to $39. But if they are, then it's
> time to get KAME/IPsec to use the crypto offloading. Where can we get
> the specifications from? I may very well look into fixing up the fxp
> dirver.

The 39$ price should be good. I can send you a URL off list, if you like.