Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 1996 18:36:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Anthony Hill <ahill@interconnect.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bash default shell for root

On Sun, 15 Sep 1996, Anthony Hill wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Are there any strong reasons why I should not set root's default shell to
> bash, and if not, what do I need to do ?

Yes.  root's shell needs to be a statically linked shell in /bin for
disaster recovery.  bash, as installed from ports, is dynamically
linked, and in /usr/local/bin, so if something goes wrong and /usr
doesn't get mounted, you can't log in as root (except via single user
mode).  That said,  I believe you'll find that sh is close enough to bash
for occasional use.  It doesn't do everything bash does, but you set
environmental variables, do for loops, etc the same as under bash, and you
can set emacs mode line editing, so it's good enough for me.

Use chsh to change your shell.