Date:      Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:31:05 -0400
From:      Joe Altman <fj@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   The documents tree(s)...

uname -a:

FreeBSD vox.chthonixia.net 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Thu Jun
9 13:59:19 EDT 2005
root@vox.chthonixia.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VOX  i386

Today, I was thinking of upgrading my sources, to see if the new
Hi-Res console modes were available yet. I didn't see them in the
update, but I did notice that some files were being dumped into this
directory (IIRC):

/usr/src/share/doc

Now, my docs tree has a distinct file in /etc:

cvsupfile-doc

So what, I asked myself, are the files in share/doc?

Upon looking, I find various files, including Makefiles...for instance
(and relevant to a separate issue I am trying to solve):

ll share/doc/papers/devfs/

1090302 -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    181 Feb 15 15:12 Makefile
1088608 -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  50718 Feb 18  2002 paper.me

This paper exists in /usr/share/doc/papers in a .gz state. Is that the
only place it is supposed to be? The Makefile doesn't give me a clue
about where else it might be installed. Is there yet another step
(automated, and a part of the make update process), not evident to me,
that might render it (and other files in the /usr/src subdirs) human
readable, and up to date?

It appears to me that the make update process I run should be doing
everything WRT these files.

--
I don't care what you think. This is not a stylishly insouciant stroll
out of the jungle, here. It's more like we've fallen out of our trees