Date:      Tue, 02 Oct 2001 13:12:04 -0400
From:      Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>
To:        Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: favorite ports?

I've run all the BSD's as desktops and servers, and I can say that it's
really two questions:

For a desktop with lots of ram get:  kde2, licq, mozilla,
linux-netscape, x-chat, ghostview and xmms
For a desktop with 32 to 96 megs of ram: windowmaker, licq,
linux-netscape, x-chat ghostview and xmms

This set gives you the ability to have a nice desktop, use ICQ, surf
with multiple browsers, chat on IRC, view PDF and PS files and play MP3s

For a server, it really depends on what you wish to do with it.  If you
don't know yet, and you just wanna have some fun setting things up, and
learn some new things:  apache, mod_php4, mysql323-server, postgresql7,
python, samba, ics-dhcpd3, snmp, mrtg, nmap, dante, squid24, webalizer,
screen.

This set gives you a web server, a web based server site programming
tool, multiple SQL databases, a high level scripting language, Windows
file and printer sharing, DHCP server, bandwith usage graphing, port
scanning, sock5 server, http/ftp proxy/cache server, web log analysis
and "screen" (it's it's own description ;)

I would also have said "uw-imap" for server, but it has some root hole
problems right now :(

I'd give descriptions, but they're available in the ports collection.

If you need to find something from the list, cd /usr/ports  then do a
"make search name=<whatever>", once you find it just "cat pkg-descr"

As for the rest of the 3000+ ports I didn't mention:  You pretty much
have to read the description, and if it sounds cool, install it and try
it out.

- Pat

Nathan Mace wrote:

> would the regulars on this mailing list post a short list of their fav
> ports and short description of what they do?  the reason i'm asking is
> because i still kinda new to *BSD and am wondering what ports are worth
> installing and which ones aren't.  thanks
>
> nathan

Pat Wendorf