Date:      Sat, 26 May 2012 14:03:26 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [ports] why no libXXX after make install of libXXX?

I'm trying to install audacious, which depends on libmowgli.
The port fails to build because of a missing library.
Shouldn't the build of a library result in the library being placed in /usr/local/lib?

  cd multimedia/audacious
  make -v install

results in:
  ===>   libmcs-0.7.2_1 depends on shared library: mowgli.2 - not found
  ===>    Verifying install for mowgli.2 in /usr/ports/devel/libmowgli
  ===>  License check disabled, port has not defined LICENSE
  => libmowgli-1.0.0.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
  => Attempting to fetch http://distfiles.atheme.org/libmowgli-1.0.0.tar.bz2
  libmowgli-1.0.0.tar.bz2                       100% of  103 kB  128 kBps
  ===>  Extracting for libmowgli-1.0.0
  => SHA256 Checksum OK for libmowgli-1.0.0.tar.bz2.
  ===>  Patching for libmowgli-1.0.0
  ===>  Building for libmowgli-1.0.0
  ===>  Installing for libmowgli-1.0.0
  ===>   Generating temporary packing list
  ===>  Checking if devel/libmowgli already installed
  ..,
  ===>   Running ldconfig
  /sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib
  ===>   Registering installation for libmowgli-1.0.0
  ===>   Returning to build of libmcs-0.7.2_1
  Error: shared library "mowgli.2" does not exist

Background:

I had originally installed some packages, including gnome.
I thought I had removed all of them before building ports.
When the above error first occurred, there was a
  libmowgli.so
  libmowgli.so.2
in /usr/local/lib.
In trying to fix things, a make deinstall removed them,
and no subsequent make install has put them back.
I'm guessing they were left-over from a package install.