Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:56:44 +0300
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CFD: XMLification of NOTES

hi,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 08:46:18AM +0000, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
>
> > At this point I would like to start some kind of discussion and listen for
> > your ideas which features you'd like to see in application which will be
> > handling these XMLs.
>
> I'd like to not have XML, please.  XML is hard to read - there is way
> too much repetition compared to content.  If you have to change the

You will be able to generate text-only LINT or NOTES and use old format
for reading.

> syntax, please use something more lightweight than XML (or make
> absolutely sure we do not have to deal with the XML at the source level

I do not see any point to invent any other formats in days when XML become
de-facto standard for such kind of information.

> in any way except when adding or removing devices/options to/from the
> source tree.)

You will need to modify XML file only, no source code intervention
needed for any actions except adding new low-level features.  But this
is same way of intervention as changing config(8).

--
/* Alexey Zelkin             && Independent Contractor      */
/* phantom(at)FreeBSD.org    && http://www.FreeBSD.org/java */