Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 23:43:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bruce Petro <bpetro@usa.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a summary of man stuff?

Bruce Petro writes:
> I've looked at man man and I don't see any option to display a list of all available man pages list single line summaries.
>
> IE: Something like this that I snitched from whatis man but a nice alphabetical list or category list of all man pages available:
> catman(1) - preformat man pages
> man(1)    - format and display the on-line manual pages
> man(7)    - quick reference guide for the -man macro package
> manpath(1)- determine user's search path for man pages
> pod2man(1)- translate embedded Perl pod directives into man pages
> ... on and on, a long list ...
>

> So I guess my question is as follows:
> 1. Is there a way to request a man summary like this?

Actually, whatis (aka "man -k") will try and do that if you ask for
all pages that match an empty keyword. Sorting it is then easy:

	man -k '' | sort -f

Getting things sorted by section is a bit harder, but this does it:

	man -k '' | sed -e h -e 's/).*//' -e 's/.*(//' -e G -e 's/\n/:/' | sort -n

Ok, the sed script ought to go in a file, but then I couldn't do it on
one (long) line :-).

> 2. Is there a HTML site somewhere that perhaps gives a summary of the standard man pages either alphabetically or even better a summary of man pages ordered by categories!

Not that I know of, but it wouldn't be hard to generate from the
above.

BTW, wrapping your text lines makes it more likely that people will
respond to your questions.

	<mike