Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 08:27:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dirk Kleinhesselink <dkleinh@phy.ucsf.edu>
To:        "Fehr,Olivier,VEVEY,GL-IS/IT" <Olivier.Fehr@nestle.com>
Cc:        "'Wilko Bulte'" <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, "'Peter Edwards'" <peter.edwards@openet-telecom.com>, "'freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD on "Miata" Personal Workstation sans SRM.

I have to deal with this all the time as the battery has died in a few of
my PWS boxes and the default is the damned AlphaBIOS, so everytime the
power goes out here, a few of them end up at with the AlphaBIOS
setup instead of SRM:  You need to enter setup (F2) and select CMOS
settings from the setup menu.  In the CMOS settings, you need to select
advanced (F6) and at the advanced screen, change the console from Windows
NT to Digial UNIX (or OpenVMS).  Then exit saving changes and either power
cycle the machine, or in my case with the dead battery, press the reset
button -- the small inset rectangular switch near the power switch and
then it should switch to SRM.

Dirk Kleinhesselink