Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:30:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
Cc:        Kevin Weiss <kevin.weiss@mail.utexas.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what is you favorite shell?

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Adam Nealis wrote:

> Kevin Weiss wrote:
> >
> > same shells, which one do you think is best to use for:
> >
> > a normal user account?
> >
> > root?
> >
> > I use bash for my users, and csh for my root.  I've heard many knocks
> > against bash though...what do you think?
> I wouldn't recommend csh for root - certainly not for shell
> scripting either. Too limited.
>
> I have no problems with bash 2 as root user. Tho' I do make
> sure it's copied into /bin as the default install is to
> /usr/local/bin.

*slap* *slap*

is your /bin/bash statically linked?  If not expect a hell of a time
using it in single user mode.  (no /usr/lib available)

I see too many people coming from Linux thinking that this is _ok_
to do.  It is NOT.  Typing 'bash' after 'su' don't kill you.

the 'local' subtree is there for a reason.

-Alfred