Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:16:23 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <Daniel.Bye@uk.uu.net>
To:        'Robert Shea' <robert.shea@onlinecables.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: I deleted my shell by mistake!!

I think choice of root shell, like so many other things in this world, comes
down to personal choice, with a mature and logical consideration of "the
facts".  On the machines where I alone have root access, I tend to use bash,
coz I'm commfortable with it, and if I ever need to boot to single user,
then FreeBSD will default to /bin/sh anyway.

However, on machines where there are more than one root user, then I would
leave it as the FreeBSD default, which is an intelligent choice.  Anybody
who then wants bash, can start bash from the command line.

I have also heard several theories as to why one should not change the root
shell.  The almost universally recommended shells are sh or csh, because by
default they live on /, and are static - so don't rely on libs installed
elsewhere on the file system.  Bash has a static compile option, and could
therefore be used as a root shell and satisfy these various recommendations.
However, why would you bother, when sh and csh are there anyway?

That's me done.

Dan