Date:      Tue, 04 Jul 2000 16:33:19 -0400
From:      Abscond Process Service <weserveu@northnet.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X Window Display Mode Problem

Hello,

I am using an AMD K62 at 550, DFI Motherboard, 128 Megs of RAM.  My
video card is a XPERT 2000  from ATI it uses the 128 bit graphics chip.
I am using  Free BSD OS 4.0 and here is my problem.  Under X Windows
using the SVGA server and using the R128 driver everything works fine.
However, fonts in terminal windows or fonts in the title bar of windows
and in pop-up windows won't display correctly.  Their appearance
resembles bar codes and is completely unreadible.  I have tried every
ATI 128 bit graphics card on the list and it makes no difference, same
result occurs.  Under Free BSD OS 4.0 I have tried the VGA 16 server to
see if the problem occurs in that mode and it simple will not work no
matter how I have tried it.  Under Free BSD 3.3 VGA 16 X Window server
works fine; I can see all the fonts and everything works perfectly.
However, there are no 128 bit drivers for ATI cards under BSD 3.3.  BSD
3.3 uses X windows version 3.35.  BSD 4 uses X Window 3.36. I am utterly
frustrated at this point with this problem because I don't know if it's
because my graphics card (ATI Xpert 2000) is not directly supported or
is it some other problem I am unaware of?

Thank you for your time.

Aaron P. Smith
weserveu@northnet.org