Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 19:34:19 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, "Zach N. Heilig" <znh@thequest.net>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PNP ids missing in sio.c

Mike Smith scribbled this message on Sep 4:
> > > I'm curious what can be made of the PNP resource list we get from the BIOS
> > > at boot time...  It lists motherboard resources too, we could probably end
> > > up with a fairly complete map of known resources to avoid.
> >
> > I bet we can roll another enumerator similar to pnp.c which takes the bios
> > output and turns it into devices. It would mean removing all the probe
> > hints from your kernel config to avoid confusion but apart from that it
> > should work really well.
>
> This is one reason why I think that the PnP scan should be done
> _before_ the legacy scan; there are cases where the legacy scan is
> going to find stuff that the PnP enumerator also knows about.  If the
> PnP enumerator has already found it, then the legacy scan aborts; in
> the reverse situation the PnP enumerator has no way of knowing that the
> device has already been claimed.

ummm... I thought that the plan was to disable all PnP devices, do the
legacy isa probes, and then reenable the PnP devices and probe them...

that way you don't have the problem of legacy probes grabing a card...

> Another argument for making the PnP scan first is that the BIOS
> identifies a whole pile of "do not go there" regions which you don't
> want anything, even a legacy device probe, looking at.

hmmm....  sounds like we need to have a PnP attach routine that will
grab all these resources.... I haven't looked at the latest PnP code,
so I'm not sure exactly how the configure stuff is handled...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson