Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 98 09:27:30 -0400
From:      Timothy J Luoma <luomat+FreeBSD@luomat.peak.org>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is Linux leaving FreeBSD behind?

	Author:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>

> > I fear that the Linux 'community' is starting to balkanize (ie.
> > RedHat's largely divisive strategy of 'market' domination and
> > de-standardization) and will likely degenerate into a muddled
> > anarchy within a few years.

The lack of a "center" is what keeps me from getting really involved with
Linux.  I did not know (but was not surprised) that a commercial force being
introduced would really disturb the flow.... (Just like I would not be
surprised if sendmail gets more and more obscure now that it has gone for
commercial support)

> > I've also grown tired of the core of Linux users who evangelize
> > the gospel according to GNU.
>
> Very well put. Describes my feelings about 3 years ago when I jumped off
> Linux when it crashed and trashed its filesystems the 3rd time in one
> week. FreeBSD filesystems may be slower, but losing data is even slower.

I really like the fact that there are official routes (in FreeBSD) from
which to get patches, etc, rather than being posted all over the net (Linux
style).

I don't intend or want to start up the debate, just sharing why I prefer FreeBSD.

TjL