Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2013 16:00:54 +0100
From:      Hans Ottevanger <hans@beastielabs.net>
To:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
Cc:        freebsd-apache@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: www/apache24

On 03/13/13 14:10, Hans Ottevanger wrote:
> On 03/06/13 17:16, Cy Schubert wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone mind if I commit this? We can worry about updating the various
>> apache modules in ports to apache24 at a later date but at least this is a
>> start. It should give folks a chance to play with it and allow us to move
>> forward with migrating the various modules in ports to apache 2.4.
>>

> [ Longish patches snipped ]
>
> First of all, I applaud your initiative to provide a port for Apache
> 2.4.x. I have seen people asking for it since Apache 2.4 appeared about
> a year ago and I think it will really help FreeBSD to keep at least some
> credibility as a platform for web servers in the near future.
>
> I intended to give your patches a spin on several versions of FreeBSD
> these days, but your files have quite a few long lines that appear to
> get folded in the email, and it appears to be not completely trivial to
> reconstruct the originals. Could you please resend them as text
> attachment, or maybe put them up for download somewhere?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Hans Ottevanger

Hi Cy,

I applied the patch to bsd.apache.mk provided in your original message
and installed the shell archive that I received from you in private
email on a 8.3-STABLE i386 system (r248102) and get the following result:

[root@beastie /usr/ports/www/apache24]# make
===>  apache24-2.4.4 At least one MPM must be selected..
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/apache24.

If I run make config and add MPM_EVENT and MPM_PREFORK I can build and
install the port but it fails to start with this in
/var/log/httpd-error.log:

[Fri Mar 15 15:17:11.631303 2013] [core:crit] [pid 23518:tid 676335936]
AH00136: Server MUST relinquish startup privileges before accepting
connections.  Please ensure mod_unixd or other system security module is
loaded.
AH00016: Configuration Failed

When I rerun make config to add USERD I can rebuild and reinstall and
can even start without problems. I did not do any more intensive
testing, but at least pages are being served in this way 8-)

I am seeing similar behavior on a 9.1-STABLE amd64 system.

As an aside: do you really intend to make mod_lua default, thus dragging
in the lua-5.1.5 port as a dependency, also for users that do not need
mod_lua?

And are you aware of two other Apache 2.4 ports floating around? See:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-apache/2013-February/003039.html

and

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=174617&cat=

Kind regards,