Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 23:22:44 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>, tlambert@primenet.com, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: May 17th UP machine 'panic'

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 06:02:02AM +0900, Michael Hancock wrote:
> On Tue, 26 May 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:
>
> > I'll give it a shakeout - presently it is very, very rough.  It is
> > only compiled, not run - and I still haven't done much to make sure
> > that vput() has proc available from a higher level (even though that
> > often is easy to arrange).
>
> It's probably safer to just use the nearest proc to the vput() in question
> unless it's obvious.  We can migrate to the top incrementally later as
> part of other changes.

I'm thinking of the cases where there isn't any source of a proc
pointer in the same function, but the calling function has one.
Example: ufs_checkpath() is only called from sys/ufs/ufs/ufs_vnops.c,
where a suitable process pointer is available.

> > I'm thinking more of whether the value of cnp->cn_proc will be the
> > correct process to pass down in all cases.  As it is, I haven't used
> > it except where it already was used in the same function.
>
> That's a good strategy.  cnp->cn_proc is correct in most cases but I can't
> say all cases.  If the vnode was ref'ed and locked in namei() it's correct
> to use cnp->cn_proc.

OK, I'll try to do a use-trace for calling functions to find out where
things come from, and whether it can be used more places.  I have only
20 functions or so that needed to use curproc; tracing use for them
won't be that much work.

Eivind.