Date:      Sun, 05 Sep 1999 08:21:24 -1000
From:      "Art Neilson, KH7PZ" <art@hawaii.rr.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup

indeed I was updating my only source tree and was confused regarding
"The Complete FreeBSD" book 3rd edition pg. 379 "Putting it all together"
the method presented in the book uses cvsup to update a source tree /ncvs
then uses 'cvs update -P -d' to update /usr/src from the /ncvs tree.
I only have /usr/src tree as I'm not doing any development and wanted the
simplest model to maintain.

Speaking of which, how do I update ports-all if I'm tracking stable?
I see only tag=. is valid for the ports tree, if I use that I get the
most current ports?  Will the most current ports work with stable or
do I need to go to freebsd-current?  I tried compiling lsof after
cvsuping my ports tree with tag=. and the make bombs with numerous
complaints about stuff in /usr/include files on my FreeBSD 3.3-RC
system.  Is this just a problem with lsof or a more general problem
with my ports updates not matching my OS release?

--
   __
  /  )    _/_  It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data.