Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 15:13:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ifi.uio.no>
Cc:        Jamie Rishaw <jamie@exodus.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Jamie Rishaw <jamie@exodus.net>] FreeBSD 3.1 remote reboot exploit

    Hello Jamie.  Well, I'm afraid you haven't given us much to go on.  If
    there is indeed an exploit, we probably won't be able to find it until
    someone catches the panic message that caused the reboot or is otherwise
    able to supply more information.

    There are a number of ways to do this.    You can compile up a kernel
    configured to drop into DDB on panic rather then to simply reboot.  Then,
    from the DDB prompt, you can issue a 'trace' command to get a stack
    trace and from there we can figure out the cause of the panic.

    Another solution is to compile up a kernel configured with the console
    on a serial port.  You then connect the serial port to another machine
    and log all the console messages.  Using a serial console also allows
    you to remotely manage the machine fairly easily.

    It may also be possible to generate a crash dump.  This does not require
    a kernel recompile.  The system must have at least as much swap space as
    main memory and /var/crash must have enough space to fit the entire dump
    (at least as much space as there is main memory, plus a tad more ).  You
    then enable dumps by specifying the dump device in /etc/rc.conf.  If
    dumps are enabled, there is a good chance that the panic will be able
    to generate a crash dump before it reboots the machine.

    For example, if the swap partition is /dev/sd0b, you would enable dumps
    by placing 'dumpdev="/dev/sd0b"' in /etc/rc.conf and then either rebooting,
    or running the 'dumpon /dev/sd0b' command manually.  If you get a crash
    dump, you can then use gdb to get a stack backtrace to determine what
    caused the dump ( if you get that far, ask for help and people can give
    you more detailed instructions ).  Always be extremely careful when
    enabling dumps, you do not want to accidently dump on a non-swap
    partition!

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>