Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 01:36:31 -0600
From:      "Stephen Hurd" <deuce@lordlegacy.org>
To:        "WALT PAWLEY" <wump@mail.sorcom.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: How do I format SCSI drives on Compaq Proliant 4500?

> How does one low-level format drives under FreeBSD 4.3 on a Compaq
> Proliant 4500?

This is not "Gods Truth"(tm) this is only what I recall and may be as
out-of-date as pet rocks:

I believe the simple answer will be that you don't.  As I remember (And it's
been a LONG time since I've had to think about it) the low-level format for
SCSI drives is particular to the controller.  That is to say that the
CONTROLLER, not the computer does the low-level formatting if required.  That
said, the SCSI programs/boot ROM/(since it's Compaq)
BIOSish-thingie/diagnostic Disk for the controller should have a low level
format option.  And this is the one that should be used... even for those ones
you already did.