Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 00:12:38 +0100
From:      "Pål Sommerhein" <paalsom@ifi.uio.no>
To:        "Michael J. Ruhl" <mruhl@cisco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trying to delete /usr/obj, but _she_ won't let me :-(

Michael J. Ruhl wrote:

> >From the Make World document (that I just read... :)):
>
> As parts of the system are rebuilt they are placed in directories which
> (by default) go under /usr/obj. The directories shadow those under
> /usr/src.
>
> You can speed up the ``make world'' process, and possibly save yourself
> some dependency headaches by removing this directory as well.
>
> Some files below /usr/obj will have the immutable flag set (see
> chflags(1) for more information) which must be removed first.
>
>      # cd /usr/obj
>      # chflags -R noschg *
>      # rm -rf *
>
> Mike
>
> "Pål Sommerhein" wrote:
> >
> > I did
> >   # rm -rf /usr/obj
> > but I got 'permissioned denied messages' for these three files:
> >    /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/libc.so.3.1          (size 423034)
> >    /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/libc_r.so.3.0        (size 468922)
> >    /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/libexec/ld.so*           (size  69632)
> > (a recursive listing is provided at the end of the mail)
> >
> > May I delete these files?  And if so, how do I proceed?

Thank you Michael!

( By the way:
I am afraid I have to say that I also read the Make World
document when I "Made My Own World".  It was just my ignorance of
just looking at section 12.3 when I was eager to get back some
150M.  I did not need to do it before I started out, so I forgot what
section 4 told me, like you reminded me of :-)

After all, making a world can be tiring, and sometimes one have to
use several days to make this *wonder* happen; one might then forget
the beginning of things.
)

So long,
Pål