Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:37:19 +0200
From:      Jesper Blomstrom <jeppe@partitur.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Big problem for me, not for you?

Hi,

I have installed FreeBSD on a separate harddisk, and my other disk
contains Windows.
TheWindows-disk is set to primary master and the FreeBSD-disk is set to
primary slave.
I have also installed a bootMGR.
If I want to run Windows everything is o.k, and Windows starts without
problem. But I do not want
to run Windows ;) and when I choose FreeBSD it seems to boot normal but
then it fails with the error:
Panic:cant mount root
I understand that this error comes from confusion between the boot
blockīs and the kernelīs understanding of the disk devices. I have
therefore
tried to stop the OS from booting and at the boot-prompt I have tried to
start the system with the following combinations:

1:wd(1,a)kernel = This one I think is the correct way to boot, but it
fails with the messages:

Changing root device to wd1s1a
Swapon: /dev/wd0s1: Invalid argument
Automatic reeboot in progress
Canīt open /dev/wd0s1a: Invalid argument
Canīt check file system
Unexpected Inconsistency
Automatic file system check faild, HELP!

Then the os wants me to show him the path to another shell the
Bourne-Shell but if I want
to use sh I shall press return.

If I then try to run stand/sysinstall I get the message
Error opening terminal: cons25

1:wd(2,a)kernel = panic:cant mount root... ( it boots )
1:wd(0,a)kernel = panic:cant mount root... ( it boots )
Everything else generates something with "wrong labels" ( does not boot
)

What should I do and how should I do it?
If you can help me I shall never use another OS then FreeBSD, promise!

/ Many Greetings from Sweden
Jesper Blomstroem