Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 06:22:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Michael D Hughes <mdh@logcabin.woods.bridge.com>
To:        rnordier@nordier.com (Robert Nordier)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with 3.1 install

> Bond, Jeffery wrote:
> > Michael D Hughes wrote:
> >
> > >  I just got me 3.1 4 CD set yesterday in the mail.  But after making the
> > >two boot floppies, I get the following error when the system boots:
> > >
> > >	/kernel text=0x18be9a zf_read: fill error
> > >	elf_loadexec:archsw.readin failed
> > >	can't load module '/kernel': input/output error.
> > >
> > >  This is a 486DX4 CPU with 8 Meg memory.  I have run 2.2.8 on this machine
> > >without any problems.  Can anyone help on this????
> >
> > I'm also having trouble installing 3.1-RELEASE on a machine with 8MB 486. I
> > am beginning to think 8MB is not enough for 3.1. Maybe your current problems
> > are just bad sectors on your floppies, but if you do succeed, I'd be very
> > interested to know.
>
> With 8MB, it should at least be possible to boot to the sysinstall
> menu.  I've verified this on an AMD 386DX with 8MB, though I didn't
> actually do an install (I was just testing something in the boot
> code).
>
> The most common cause of the text=0x18be9a error above seems to be
> forgetting to use kern.flp, and copying only half of the 2.88M
> boot.flp to a 1.44M floppy.  So that may be worth checking, if
> that's the error message.
>
> --
> Robert Nordier

Robert,
  I had read the README.TXT file before I started and I made two floppies,
one using kern.flp and one using mfsroot.flp.  I also tried 3 different
floppy disks for the kern.flp.

  I will try a different floppy drive and see if that makes any difference
and let the list know.

 _ _ _                    _    _    ,                     Loghome living is the
                                        /|