Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:48:18 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
Cc:        =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, daeron@Wit401305.student.utwente.nl, shawn@cpl.net, osa@etrust.ru, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StarOffice-5.0...

> > Hmm, if we should have a Linsux compatible /proc, it really should be
> > a beast mounted on /compat/linux/proc. If you provide this, I'm sure
> > it will be received with open arms :)
>
> Linux_procfs sounds good, but if a Linux procfs is implemented... erm....
> you see, wouldn't this waste resources? unless we'd be emulating the
> ENTIRE linux proc (which is total crap, and shouldn't exist), it's
> probably better just to add it to the standard procfs.

It's hideously crap, and unfortunately syntax-incompatible with ours,
which is why we'd have to have a complete emulation.

Unfortunately, the Linux procfs is also baroque beyond the abilities of
the structure of our relatively simple-minded procfs to handle.  It's
more like a filesystem manifestation of the sysctl tree.