Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:23:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        sparc@freebsd.org
Cc:        drosih@rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: CVSup: nag nag nag

In article <p05200f12ba566a02be1b@[128.113.24.47]>,
Garance A Drosihn  <drosih@rpi.edu> wrote:
> I've been using it since the day it came out, seems to be working
> fine.  And for reasons unrelated to cvsup, I've been doing things
> like:
>      rm -Rf /usr/ports/net
>      cvsup ~/cvsup/all_ports
> and comparing the entire ports directory on my Sparc ultra-10 machine
> to the same tree on my dual-Athlon machine.  [aside: The dual-athlon
> is faster...].  I've just been comparing for the existence of files
> and directories though, I haven't been doing an actual diff-type
> comparison of the contents of any files.  I could do that too.

I'm not too worried about that.  I'm mostly interested in hearing
about any unexpected runtime errors or crashes.

> As long as I'm replying to a question on cvsup, here's a question
> that I can't seem to find in the man pages.  Is there a way I could
> say "do all the work of a normal CVSup run, and tell me what *would*
> change, but don't change anything"?

Well ... sort of.  You can add an extra argument to the command line
which is the name of an empty directory.  Whenever CVSup updates a
file, it will put the new version into the appropriate place under
that directory rather than where it really belongs.  It's kind of
like DESTDIR with make buildworld.  I should warn you, though, that I
have not really been trying to maintain this feature for the past few
years.  I'm not absolutely sure it works right any more.

John
--
  John Polstra