Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:40:57 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Nicole Harrington <nicole@mediacity.com>, The experts <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6-BETA  OOP-ACK-BLEH  sendmail 8.8.8 won't compile

Doug White wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Nicole Harrington wrote:

> > Thankfully it was on my own server.  I have recompiled most everything I
> > needed to after doing make world and building a new kernel. (Like named
> > 8.8.1 - Which *should* IMHO be in 2.2.6)
>
> Principle of least suprise says that named 8.x won't be in 2.2.x due to
> the config file renovation.  Good candidate for 3.x though.

	Not just POLA, but the fact that the resolver and other
libraries/headers/etc. in BIND 8.1.1 are not yet ready for prime time.
Word is that 8.1.2 will have some or all of this stuff fixed, but the CW
for BIND is still build 4.9.6 to get the headers and libs (which we do)
and if you are running a publicly accessible nameserver build 8.1.1 to
get the better binaries and named.conf options. There's no way that BIND
8.x should ever go into FreeBSD 2.anything, except as a port, which we
already have. :) OTOH, once it's ready for prime time BIND 8 should
definitely be part of -Current, hopefully before 3.0-Release. That will
be good timing for the change.

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest